Friday, July 31, 2009

Domestic Bliss


This is a long post, so grab a spot of tea or just some chocolate and relax! Let me toot my own horn for a bit. Yesterday I achieved what I like to call Domestic Bliss. I accomplished everything I set out to do around the house and then some. I did the little chores you don't do that often, but make all the difference. I organized the hall closet, laundered quilts, vintage linens,and clothes, {excercised}, cleaned out the fridge,and tried a new impressive recipe! (The pic above is the latest bounty from the garden).

I decided it was time to roast a chicken. I read a couple recipes and made up my own! So here it is.

I used what I had in the fridge. All the recipes called for yellow onion, but unfortunately mine was rotten. I also added fresh rosemary from the garden.


After I washed the chicken and took out the neck and giblets (ewww) I let it drain and come to room temp along with the butter. I sliced the potatoes, onion, and one lemon. I used a corn holder to prick the whole lemon so the juice would be sure to flavor the chicken.


I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper inside and out. There's garlic in there too. I stuffed the cavity with some onion and the whole lemon. Meanwhile I sprayed the baking dish with Pam and layered the potatoes,then a layer of onions. I placed the bird on top, squeezed the lemon, rubbed the skin with butter and roasted it at 425 degrees for almost 2 hours.


DELISH



The potatoes were to die for because they were flavored by the drippings from the chicken. yummMMmm. The Hubby couldn't stop telling me how awesome it was. It made me feel so good!

After dinner I noticed that I needed to clean the microwave. I read recently that a good natural/green way was to put a lemon in water and warm for a couple of minutes. I used the lemon that was in the chicken cavity.

It worked beautifully!

Are you still with me?

While the chicken was cooking and there was a break in the rain I ran across the street into one of the fields and picked some "weeds".

I used part of my milk glass collection (that will soon be for sale in my etsy shop, don't worry, I'll invite you to the grand opening) to display the flowers. The orange weeds match my color scheme in my bedroom! Fun pop of color.

In the guest room. Sorry some of the pics are blurry, my camera is not cooperating. You get the jist.

In the guest bath.

In the kitchen.

In the living room. I just added some queen anne's lace to the undead part of an arrangement the Hubby gave me two weeks ago.

There you have it! Domestic Bliss!

3 comments:

katy.kelley said...

Can I just say how impossibly impressed I am? All the inventive recipes, the beautiful house decorating, and the etsy shop ?! My goodness you are such the southern woman.

Bryan and Jenelle Tinker said...

love it all! can you come to my house next?! :)

Alison said...

awww. Thanks, friends!